Facts about training the brain0
propagate brain cells
being able to toggle between short term and long term views
Can be reduced to micro chemical signals
can neurons be regenerated
increase the size of your brain
making brain cells more sharply
dementia in 1797 intelecrtual deficiet
memory losss goes with dementia
brain can be fin tuned
Sanjay – Step by step process
it all begins with your brain
you need to take care of your mind for your body
don’t use fear base data
find knowledge to build a better brain
the brain is not like another organ
brain related problems are increasing
your brain can be active by some type of action, like workout or current news
stop reading emails
person you marry plays a big role on you brains activity
You need clean life
don’t use genes as an excuse!
build a better brain…learn your brain and make it better we each have our own profile.
The brain is like a car!
have many brain disorders.
brain can get stronger as you age.
are you at risk for brain deckine?
- Poor sleep sleeping well learn and remember new things
- Do you suffer from a brain impairment
- Do you avoid strenuous exercise?
- do you sit more than you stand?
- Are you obese?
- are you a woman?
- have you been diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease?
- do you have high blood pressure or cholesteral?
- diagnosed with ab=n infection
- do you take any medication like antidepressents?
- have you had a head injuy?
- do you smoke?
- have a hisory of depression>
- do you lack social engagement?
- Does formal education end a high school?
- is you diet full of processed food?
- Do you live with stress?
- have a history of alcohol abuse?
- do you suffer from sleep disorder?
- do you have hearing loss?
- does your day lack any cognative skills?
- does you job lack complex work?
- are you over 65 years old?
- does Alzheimer disease run in family?
- Do you care for someone who suffers from some sort of dementia?
Making you brain smarter and sharpness
always treat the patient not the test results
our brain creates our own experience…creates memories
brain 3.3 lbs
brain steals 20% of the blood and oxygen in the body for only being 2.5% of body weight.
brain has great circuitry (better than any laptop)
about 100 neurons in your brain
brain has conection to our personal behavior
brain floats in thr “castle” in fluid (encased in solid bone)
73% water need to drink water
brain cells are the fattest
brains mature at 25 years old
every minute 1000ml of bllood flow through the brain
memory is a warehouse where we kep our knowledge (memory is always changing with new experience)
cognative correlate to decision making
memory is stored in all the brain (different links)
analzing all the inputs to our brain
memory is not like a filing cabinet!
parts of a memory comes from all areas throughout the brain
music is left side
signing is fom the right side
rhythm is from the back of the brain (page 41)
you neeed to work on ALL areas of brain
parts of memory:
- encoding hypocampus area to analyze short term memory
synapsis with nerotransmitters
when topractice something new, your brain rebuilds
“whats wired together fires together” all about endrites
nerons are made to help the brain forget….found in 2019 (page 46)
you need sleep to move short term to long term memory
cognative decline: starts years before dementia happens
page 51 symptoms of brain decline
Fixing issues is because DA repair slows down
Talk of CTE (with tau)
high blood pressercauses microscopic damage to the arteries leading towards the brain (page 56)
correlation between diabetis and Alzheimer disease. Type 1, type 2 high blood pressure
could be from a western diet (processed food)
look out for poor diet 🙂
watch out for unhealth weight gain. The size of your belly.
can infction lead to a nerolgical decline?
it fires up a trail for the aslzheiher webby plaque (page 62)
look out for inflammitory “issues”
Tony Dorrest football play-CTE
inflation adds to the brain decline (page 67)
need healthy neurons
hypocampus shrinks in your brain the fastest
aging is not a decline
MCI (mild cognative impairative)
with Lewy Bodies
- absentmindednes need observation*
- blocking a distruption in yor mind
- fadin away – use it or lose it
- struggling for retrival
- muddled multitasking
Sleep apnea is an issue
FOCUS ON YOUR BRAIN AND EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FOLLOW
BRAIN IS GROUND ZERO
12 Distructive myths and the 5 pillars that will build you
brain can serive a trauma
- the brain is a complete mystery
- older people usually forget things…improve over time
- dememtia is not normal with age
- leaarning cn happen at all age
- you must master one language before another
- a person with memory training never forgets
- we use only 10% of our brain (demanding organs) brain is used all around
- males and female brains ae different….they are about the sam2/3 of people with Alzeheimer disease is greater
- crossword puzzle a day keeps the brain Dr. away
- you are dominated by your left or right brain (brain scanning showws both side work together)
- you have only 5 senses The are 6 other sensentions
- Brain damage is always permament
neurons are also pruned
neurons grow larger
the brain can rewire itself (you can recruit other parts of the brain for additional duties)
Page 86 talks about brain plasticity
it constantly is reshaping (brain)
brain changes itself…brain works as a whole…they
BDMF-miracle food fo the brain
don’t have bad habbits could lead to depression
secdiscoverrets of super ages
show no shrinkage of brain
life style changes
how to move your mind in the right direction
- Move break a sweat every day
- discover – brain training
- Nourish protect brain against disease
- connect: with use, social network
HOW NOT TO LOSE YOUR MIND
prevention is the most powerful antidote
aside from age, brain decline can be changed
watch out for high cholesteral!
the miricle of movement is move more and keep an exercice routine (fitness is a key) it’ scientifically proven
exercise is a lifetime activiy
we really don’t get that much slower until we reach 70 years old
not a drug has been approved for MCI (cognative decline)
exercise is at the top of the list for advantages to the brain
needs changes to confuse your body! greatest return on investment
- body tone
- and bone density
thiis helps your brain “humming” being more desireable
exercise improves your mind, just not your body
muscle mass is important tissue that burn calories. Build and maintain muscles
Benefits of Exercise
- positive brain health
- move of sugar in your blood
- helps lower your inflamation
- increase stamina, strenght, flexability (P. 105)
- increase muscle tone
- more restful
- mood lifters
- heart health
- stonger immmune system
- decrease inflamation
- sleep better
Shape your brain by getting in shape
exercise helps develop neurons (p. 106)
exercise is like a first aid kit!
exercise on brain is for stresss reduction
stress hurts (lose conection possibilities) the neurons in you brain. (p. 108)
research shows that exericisee will help to increase your memory (p. 111) exercise needs to be done.
need regular exercise!
The power of purpose, learning, and discovery
additional work is about a gain of 3.2% against dementia
you need to find a purpose
don’t quit of life
Exercise your brain to help rewire the brain
cognative researve is the brains ability to improvise.
The brain will choose a different path (these roads are the cognative reserve)
cognative stimulation help fight disease
brain can continue to grow at any age
life long education – stimulate the brain
brain games are not cognative stimulating
speed training games CAN help against dimentia
day time TV gets old! THOUGHT you need “hot sauce” for the brain.
playing video games will he you to see and move faster (move the mind)
video games could soon become medical devices
Need a strong sense of purpose
older people with a sense of purpose can make the risk of dimentia less
reason for being brings out optimizime
get yourself back in “the flow”
The need for sleep and relaxation:
higher risk of:
- mood swings
- learning and memory problems
- heart disease
- high blood presure
- weight gain
- fall related injuries
no data shows no sleep relates to success. we need 7 to 8 hours a night
sleep is a critical time where the body resets itself.
sleep is not a waste of time:
- it heals tissues
- strengthens memory
- even grows
highly respected field of study
sleep is ike a reset button
- immune system
control of hormone system (with solar day)
circadian rhythm rise and fall of hormones
it revalve around sleep patterns
our sleep patterns should not change.
does sleep relate to memory?
sleep is good ot consolidate your memories to take in new information
look out for sleep issues
diabetesa is associated the brain health
lack of sleep can cause inflamation
sleep aids are will not let you experience the restful benefits (p. 139)
sleep takes out “sticky proteins” in the brain could lead to inflamation
Lack of sleep brings on Alzeheimers (brain decline)
- stick to a scheduke
- don;t be a night owl
- wake up to early morning light (to set body clock)
- get moving
- watch what you eat
- mind your midicine
- cool, quiet, and dark 60 to 67 degrees
- eliminate electronics (blue wave length)
- Establish bedtime rituals (maybe wear socks)
- know the warning signs
Don’t forget daytime R&R
work on meditation!
put problem in a buibble
use logic and reason (critical thinking)
mindfulness does reduce depression & reduce anxiety and pain
make you body relaxdeep breathing (p. 149) twice per day
walk in nature, green spaces
push ever bit of air from your lungs
can dig in y
our garden (urban deelopment)
need to “play outside”
Expess gratitude (keep journal)
practice forgiveness (p> 151)
maybe 1 day a week being screen free.
don’t multitask stuf
let your blame “roam free”
clean out all your stuff – manage your enviroment
set aside 15min. for personal stuff
knowing yourseld-self awareness
U shape curve of happiness (55 and older)
depression relates to dementia
Food for thought:
what is the best diet for the brain –
everything in moderation, what fuels you, worried can increase anxiety level
meditorian style diet style (better brain volumn)
green leafy vegtable
thumbs down on red meat
super food is a selling point for your brain
What’s good for the heqart is good for the brain
need cardiovascular health to fight dementia
It’s all about what you eat
western diet is not brain friendly
increasing fruit by 1 meal aday gives a 8% increase
life style changes
what do we eat?
need health foods
eat real food – supplements are not thqt beneficial
it will take time to change your diet.
aim for 7 colors of foods
the more frits = higher brain health
it’s all about contribution of foodsreduce sugar (maybe soda)
sugar intake relates to brain health cutting back on soda
avoid sugar substitutes.
- fresh vegetables
- whole berries
- fish & seafood
- nuts & seeds
- whole fruit
- whole grains
- fried food
- proceessed food
- red meat products
dehydraation affects cognative awareness
choose red wine becaus it has polyphenols (antioxidant that may affect blood pressure p. 175)
2 beers day, 5 oz. of wine per day
veggie oil 6 fats from processed foot
food sources NOT supplements
those who eat fish have better brain health
suppliments are not that regulated ;(
not suppliment restores brain health
portion & calorie control of food.
turn to baking and boiling when cooked
intermittent fasting could help the growth of new brain cells
P plan ahead
darker to color the higher the fiber :)!
need soluable/insoluable fiber
look at the dirty dozen list of fruit for pesticides
Gluten free diet for celiac disease
the book say you do not have to go gluten free if you don’t hve celiac
feeding you brain:
- choose frozen vegitables and fruits
- eat fish
- small plaate size
- wide variety of different colored food
- rainbow gives you a diverse array of nutiants
- use viniger
- use mono or polyunsaterated fats
- steer clear of trans fats
- prepare meals at home
- need floss is good for brain health
Need the power of connection
- on average most people have about 19 people in their network
- lonliness brings on cognative decline
- larger social nretworks are the most protected
- Moai is social support network (social exchange)
- health is all about good relationships
- It’s all about the qualityof your relationship
- lean into a relationship with your family seek new relationships
- more than 80% of people use the internet??? p. 197
- maintain contact with people of different ages
- put yourself in positions to interact with someone else
- Reach out for professionals to control isolations
- good relations helps out the brain
- maybe use the “touch factor”
- “never give up work” by Hawkens
The brain can be rewire it all plasticity…it;s all about change!
- move more throughout the day and exercise
- find new ways to stimulate the brain
- prioritize getting restful
- introduce a ne way to nourish your body
- connect authentically with others and maintain a vibrant social life.
- eat your last meal at least 3 hors before you go to bed
- stop caffine after 2:00
- be ritualistic about going to bed
- before bed…calm yourself down
- keep your bedroom queit, dark, and electronic free
- do deep breathnig, meditation,, or journal writting
Eat Sanjay Style
eat only when the sun is shinning
secrets to health (spearing fish) thes epeople in the Amazon sleep 9 hours a day and take seventrrn thousands steps per day
we drink to hydrate
call someone you haven’t talked to before
keep a gratitude journal
enviroment is very important to your normal process
be flexable and consistant
Treating an ailing brain
try something different while exercising
we are at war with dementia
Bill Gates – losing memory 😦
focus on patients first
We are just thoughts and our brain
don’t ignore systems – get checked out!
have optimisim in any diagnosis
don’t give up hope gives you better health
Preclinical time fo prevention
need stress reduction
add more berries in your diet
plant basesd diet
meditation is important
the APO gene (e3/E4) could increase risk 2X
lifestyle is more important than gene
could dive, experriencing some memory lapses
forgetting events or parts of own personal life
what day is it?
Late stages of Alzeheimers
lose ability to walk, swallow
not diagnosis of Alzheimers disease
Talk of NPH (normal hydrocepelus) drainage of CFS
depression does not lead to alzheimers disease
don’t take brain suppliments like vitamin B12
drinking to much
- could lead to ther health problems
need neuorolgist, psycologist, check out AARP, and the Clevland Clinic, maybe Mao clinic?
thriving with the disease
Memory disorder programs
dimention is not a death sentence
dimentia peopl estill have lots to give.
is dimentia like cancer?? For overall care
brain scan could be between 5,000-10,000 dollars (don’t waste your money!)
for neuro tranasmitters acetylcholine
Namenda regulatw the activity of glutamate which involves the brain function
drugs for tremors (parkensons disease could speed up alzrheimers)
treatment can be the quality of care.
each person must be cared for individually
The care giver:
from carring causes courage
Bad apples in assistant living:
IT takes a village
(by two Dutch money) A nursing home is a strange communuty (In the Nerherlands)
people feel like they are at home!
Don’t challenge a person with dimentia P.264
care givers p. 265 good referance
take care of yourself!!!! find support
p. 266 give stats 1 in 11 breast cancer to 1 in 6 for alzeheimers
keep engaged in the community
how to keep a home safe
make a legal plan…durable power of attorney (end of life requirerments)
AARP check list for family
need to build a care team
advance directives stating health care wishes can stop unwanted life care…..it;s all about stress
anyone who owns propety needs to have a living trust (name a trustee)
need a conservator or guardian for an estate
communicate about the distribution of goods
the invisable 2nd patient is for the care-giver
dillusion is a paranoya Need to document this act
it’s crucial to be on top of your self care!
Family care givers are qued to help (it could be a spiritiual desire). It’s normal to have the sense of denial. It’s hard!
could also have guilt! these are common feelings
build your own support network
Scientist are working with the tau protien in the brain (study with mice)
Sanjay is excited about the study of brain disease.