No picture this month, camera isues!
8 people in attendance
The “club” gives the book a thumbs up!
- 1970 and the humans are creating a poor food scarcity in the world
- Chemical farming
- no soil disruption
- organic foods might not be that expensive
- Fukuoka says no till
- confronting scarcity of foods
- stunting overwork having more not less..
- Find more leisure
- Have no control over nature
- Work in harmony with nature
- This book is not all about farming
- culture issues
- books don’t have only ne subject
- this book is about agriculture
- it’s all about relationships
- we change food we change society we change our value
- Responsibility to what we know
- Do we need “do-nothing” farming?
- We could be looking for Joy when it comes to agriculture
- The ultimate goal of agriculture is the cultivation and perfection of human beings.
- his method of farming”
- no pollution
- no fossil fuels
- high yield crops
- Mr. Fukuoka dressed as a normal worker
- for his orchard:
- drinking water carried by buckets
- light by candles
- meals cooked on a wood burning fireplace.
- Work day starts at 8
- provides about $35 dollars a month for living expense
- He feels develops the sensitivity to farm in his natural method.
- He strives on skills of agriculture
- care of tools
- shares his experience on disease
- don’t improve upon nature by “conquest”
- He became a career as a microbiologist
- Uses ground cove instead of plowing
- Believes a “Sunday farmer” can grow enough food for the whole family
- Mr. Fukuoka produces about the same yield of rice as per the chemical farmer, but they all have different effects on the soil
- His improve the quality of the soil
- After WWII chemical farming came to Japan.
- Natural farming comes from the individual farmer
- Spiritual health can improve the health of the world.
Part I (15%) Look at his grain
- The is where the revolution can begin
- weeds also grow in field of crops
- next years grain is planted before its harvested
- He grew rice and winter grain
- He saw a beautiful woman
- In his younger years, he became depressed
- spent 30 to 40 years wondering if he had been mistaken
Returning to the Country
- Life a death are one.
- Take on a quite rest
- He went to Tokyo, was he living in a dream world?
- everything turns into nothingness
- the method of do nothing farming took place on his fathers orchid
- was working on science vs natural agriculture
Toward a Do-Nothing Farming
- Make work easier than harder
- Don’t plow, fertilize, no compost, no insecticide
- There is a difference between natural and unnatural agriculture
Returning to the Source
- humanity knows nothing
- natural farming are growing in popularity
- Farming in Japan was brought from the Western people.
- Natural farming has become the rage
- Is it the new type of farming or are we going to go to the past?
- We need a general solution
One Reason That Natural Farming Has Not Spread
- The world has become so specialized it though to see the world in its entirety.
- “It’s too early for that”
- mix natural and scientific farming. Natural farming is gentle
- A single step away from the source can only lead one astray. (26%)
Humanity Does Not Know Nature
- People need to talk about nature
- It’s beyond human intelligence
- why is it impossible to know nature?
- as a child
- sometimes it’s isolated
- “one among many” predators (leaf-hopper) among many
- Can chemicals be used in farming?
- its not advanced farming
- it’s all human knowledge
Part II Four Principles of Natural Farming
- will see many small animals in a farming fied
- Soil us burned by chemicals
- 1. No cultivation
- 2. No Chemical Fertilizer
- 3. No weeding or herbicides
- not eliminating
- 4. No dependence on chemicals
- Cultivation could bring on crab grass
- troublesome weds can be brought under control by eliminating chemicals and machines.
- nature needs to be left by itself
- good for earthworms
- start the regeneration cycle of grow
- adding to much fertilizer can lead to problems
- Go with the natural fertility of the earth
Coping with Weeds
- Weeds decrease after cultivation is stopped
- when stopped the varieties will also change
- When field is covered with straw the germination of weeds is stopped short
- weeds deep in the soil will sprout after cultivation.
- Using pest control brings upon bad viruses
- Weevil blights like the pine blight
- most inept ways to bring on change
- use ground cover crops
Farming among the /weeds
- fruit trees can grow among the weeds
- Also,…wheat, rice, & grain
- Excess water means the weeds will weaken??????
- State of mind of the gardener is very important
Farming with /straw
- It’s fundamental for
- keeping away sparrows
- water management
- most people do not understand
- Spread the straw uncut
- toss the straw anyway it falls (otherwise rice will not geminate)
- Straw improves the soil make-up each season
- It’s rich in humas
No Need o Prepare Compost
- No need to “make” compost
- chopping up straw
- adding water
- turning the pile
- hauling to the “site”
- We need to put all the straw back to the field??
- Small animals might eat the hand sown seeds
- Can use the clay pellet method to solve problem
- germination is best on the surface
Straw Helps to Cope with Weeds and Sparrows
- straw can discourage the growth of crab grass
- Plant a mulch of rice, rye, or barley straw as soon as the mature crop is harvested
Growing Rice in a Dry Field
- Keep the head of the plant small, do not overnourish the plant, and let them grow “true”.
- For grains sometimes the starch growth is great but efficiency is low, energy is NOT FOR the grains
- One square inch of leaf is enough to produce six grains of rice.
- 3 or 4 small leaves are more than enough to produce a hundred grains of rice
- sowing 20 to 25 plants = 250-300 grain-bearing stalks
- This will yield great harvest
Rice field should not be flooded
Any farmer can tell you if a plant is from a chemical field
Orchard Trees (40%)
- Grows many varieties of citrus
- This was after the war
- Let some pine sprout to grow as wind cover
- Do not kill the natural predators
- In long run…greater damage might occur
- Trees will become stronger if you don’t prune the tree
- Need to garden in a natural environment
- If you use chemical fertilizer the trees do grow larger, but year after year the soil becomes depleted. Chemical fertilizer drains the earth of its vitality
- The soil suffers in one generation of use
- Help restore the fertility of the soil
Growing Vegetables Like Wild Plants
- people want clean food
- Some are skeptical about using manure and human waste.
- Grow vehetables in no dirt at all (like hydroponics)
- By chemical nutrients and light
- People think this food is clean and safe to eat.
- food grown in soil by the action of worms, microorgabism, and decomposing animal manure are the cleanest and most wholesome of all
- Growing in a semi-wild way:
- toss ut seeds that will grow up with the weeds
- Vegetables grown this way are stronger
- Tomatoes and egg plant are not strong enough against the weeds
- use while clover to act as a living mulch
- Grow crops as naturally as possible
- become aware of the natural weed cycle
The Terms for Abandoning Chemicals
- Choose cultivation or non cultivation
- control the three great rice disease:
- stem rot
- rice blast disease
- bacterial leaf blight
- Farmer need to stop using weak “improved seed varieties
- Stop adding to much nitrogen to the soil
- AND reduce the amount of irrigation water so roots can develop
- The three diseases would all but disappear and chemical sprays become unnecessary.
- As soils grows in fertility the diseases will cease
- more grains to the stalk will happen
- farmers like to eliminate seed
Limits of the Scientific Method
- Before researchers become researchers they should become philosophers.
- What should humanity create?
- Is your work going effect productivity by cultivating?
- insect relationship
- all factors need to be into a study
Part III (50%)
One Farmer Speaks Out
- Concern about deteriorating quality of the environment
- contamination of food
- systems of disease existence
- pollution in the water, it should not be focused on one element
- giant chemical companies would bring on a complete change.
- Government is not that concerned about pollution (the Co-op agency
- pollution runs down into the streams and then spreads
A Modest Solution to a Difficult Problem
- Government does not want to stop food pollution (inland sea)
- You become to specified in your works, not thinking of other
- Convince of using chemicals
- Seeds might to sown for second sand third generation of pollution.
- engineers don’t understand what is wrong
The Fruit of Hard Times
- We are eating chemically treated foods
- This is from what the customer wants
- consumers want large, shiny, and unblemished goods
- price responds to the look of the food
- farming out of season
- it is not important (for people) to have food out of season
- There is also a coloring agent used (one week earlier)
- Also artificial sweeteners are used for unripe fruits
- Bruising is common in the fruit sorting factory
- 5 or 6 chemicals have been used
- because of chemicals food that isn’t fresh can be sold fresh
- When fruit shrivel, vegetables wilt, they are in a state to preserve their food value for the longest possible time.
- Sense of size and appearance vs. the quality of food
The Marketing of Natural Food (55%)
- sell unpolluted produce
- natural good can be grown and sold at the cheapest price
- Though the taste was good
- The grower was asked to ship more
- inferior fruit is not accepted by the sorting co-op
- Producers would like to grow natural food
- Does it have to be sod for more?
- natural foods could be a luxury food if priced high
- Must be sold locally
Commercial Agriculture Will Fail
- For farmers; chemicals, equipment, feed, and fertilizer are sold at a fixed price
- it’s difficult to determine the cost per pound at prices fixed abroad
- It’s all up to the greedy merchants.
- It’s an unstable proposition (commercial agriculture)
- Don’t get on the profit wagon…..it’s all out evil!
Setting out for a day’s work
- As a commercial farmer you are not making much money
- farmer get on the economic train with hot houses
- Experience great fluctuations in prices
Research for Whose Benefit?
- The author made a simple hand machine that he took to a manufacturer of equipment and was told the tool is “to” small and there was no profit in its means.
- the thought was that farmers would not think of machines that are being sold for thousands of dollars
- Always trying to more forward. Something new that will make money.
- The thought about eating egg plants and cucumber during the winter.
- have found vegetable have no nutrient value
- lost taste
- Problems accurse with the lighting system
What is Human Food (60%)
- How does the eggs in a pen relate to free roaming chicken
- All vegetables are grown together
- wild veggies have a better flavor
- They say children should eat shepherds purse to relieve wild tantrums.
- ground up lice and winter grain are used as a remedy for epilepsy
- fleas are medicine for frostbite
- insects must be alive
In a patch of mustard and wild turnips
- veggies close to their wild ancestors are the best in flavor
- Wild birds are better in nutrition than a domestic fowl
- The more unbalanced the food you eat, your body becomes chemically unbalanced.
- The unnatural desire creates hardship for the farmer and fisherman
- more work for this desire of exotic foods
- limit yourself to the amount of food
- Japanese like to eat bred
- It’s all about human desire that will cause a crisis.
A Merciful Death for Barley
- In Japan they liked rye and barley (grown in winter)
- Give up wheat
- low price
- Stop growing barley and rye
- Growing foreign grain
- Ministry’s staff need to go to the mountains and taste some veggies
- Before the war over 70% of people were farmers, now is about 14%
- They do this because the make the standard yield. (Progress)
- It’s a primitive goal of agriculture
- Everyone needs to farm
Simply Serve Nature and All Is Well
- Extravagance of desire is the fundamental cause of our current situation
- will society collapse
- spiritual awareness
- spiritual breathing place
- farmers do not have any time to write poems, or write haiku poems
- We are here on earth to live.
- A true basis of human life
- farmer used to be a sacred trait
Various Schools of Natural Farming
- Humans are the only animals who have to work
- People should live like animals in the tropic
- The real farmer has learned to live on yield from your own land
- The use of compost and animal was for Japanese gardeners
- crop rotation
- composting organic stuff
- pursuing the way of nature is natural farming
- farmer would like to “do nothing” farming.
- The ultimate goal of farming is not growingcrops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.
Confusion about Food (71%)
- what is meant by natural food?
- found in natural
- or used fire and salt
- wild food in nature?
- whole grain and veggies…brown rice
- we need to look at discrimination knowledge
- OR look at the “relative order”
Nature’s Food Mandala
- It’s natural wisdom to use salt and fire for food
- Everyday relationships farming, fishing, clothing, shelter and spiritual life all need to have a union with nature.
- Early spring there are seven herb sprouts in earth, tastes seven tastes.
- A natural diet lies right at one’s feet
The Culture of Food
- Relationship of food and the human spirit.
- For animals it’s enough to eat, play, and sleep.
- For humans it’s a great accomplishment to eat nourishing food, and get a restful sleep.
- Buddha said; “Form is emptiness and emptiness is form”. Matter and mind are the same thing.
- There are seven colors
- White light split by a prism yield seven colors
- Food has color and is important for selection
- food taste is dependent on the time you try it
- could be sweet, sour, bitter, salty, or pungent
- Can’t be define by analysis
- A natural person can achieve the right diet, he is satisfied with simple foods
- Food and the human spirit are united
- Modern people want more than the seven herbs of spring.
- Food is not delicious unless a person thinks it is
- all processed food is bad
- Your tastes can be conditioned
- people eat with their minds, not the bodies
- Culture is created
- culture is born in nature
Living by Bread Alone
- Nothing better than eating delicious food
- Most people eat to nourish their body
- Dietetic people have caused more problems with their theories and calculations.
- This could separate the body away from nature
- Western science does not relate to Eastern philosophy.
- Foods grown out of season might be causing errors
Summing up Diet (80%)
- In the world there are four main classifications of dier:
- A lax diet conforming habitual desires & taste
- The standard nutrition diet
- Diet bases on spiritual principles
- The natural diet, following the will of heaven
- Diet of Non-Discrimination
- food is a gift from heaven
- The Diet of Principle
Sick Persons Diet
- a sick person returning to a healthy environment often the disease will disappear
- Alienation with nature the number of sick people increases
- Natural food is not grown today
- all theories leads to confusion
- let the body choose food for itself
- from your own diet
- mans ultimate purpose
Food and Farming
- If we don’t c;early understand that the non-moving source of all this activity-what nature is-it will be impossible to recover our health
Foolishness Comes Out Looking Smart
- Is writing useless
- old farmer notions?
- enjoy people doing do nothing farming
The orchard and hut from the mountain above
- people study because they don’t understand
- people convince themselves to understand
- become familiar to the object
- people attend to bend nature to their will, but human beings can destroy natural forms, but they can not create them.
- Abandon discrimination knowledge
- I foolish people tries to lool smart
Who Is the Fool?
- Follow adult rules
- Aesop’s fable was discussed
- Talk about development and statistical growth
- Living simply and taking it easy.
- The more people do, the more society develops, and more problems arise
I Was Born to Go to Nursey School
- People come just because
- form is emptiness and emptiness’s is form
- Matter and the Spirit are one
- lives in seeds are continuous
- Think about living NOW!
- Are all human emotions illusions
- People are living in sorrow
Drifting Clouds and the Illusion of Science (90%)
- look deeply into oneself and find out what science actually is
- how does machines work out for nature, breaks it down into two incomplete pieces
- Plowing a field the earth will not cultivate itself
Theory of Relativity
- most field have a rice machine
- Or us a hand sickle
sharpening a long-handle scthe
- farmers went to a machines
- speed and efficiency
- scientist thought of time and space
A Village Without War and Peace
- Its survival of the fittest
- Is life like a contest it’s the cycle of life
- strong consume the weak
In nature, the world of relativity does not exist
- animals fight, but do not make war
- people accuse others of instigating a conflict
The One-Straw Revolution
- To use the straw and growing rice and barley
- It appears small and light, it has high value
- spreading straw six months before seeding is good
Was a little confused when reading this book, saying that organic foods should be cheaper? Well I do understand not using pesticides/fertilizers/chemicals would save $$$, but what about the quantity of the production, and the quality (sorting centers) of the fruits and vegetables? I like his thought about being a lazy farmer and find more leisure, on the other side (speaking from experience) it’s like some type of therapy to work in the garden. Another good observation is that we cannot control nature. I also think that the scarcity of food relates to supply and demand!